Monday, August 22, 2022

Day 1 1/2 Saturday, Aug. 20th to Sunday, Aug. 21st



SATURDAY, AUGUST 20TH TRAVEL DAY (1/2)

I don't want to dwell too much (although I will do a little bit of a RANT) on the long travel day from Vancouver, Canada to Copenhagen, Denmark. With anyone doing any travels during the pandemic you cannot expect the same levels of service, timeliness or competence. Although in Air Canada's regard, they were already terrible in any metrics used to determine a good airline. There are regular news articles about lost luggage, many hours of queueing at the airports to get through customs and/or security. If it all goes very smoothly then you can feel very lucky as it would not be the norm.

I did not encounter any delays when I went through security early Saturday morning at YVR (Vancouver) and using my NEXUS card was not much of an advantage. Unusual gate choice and our airplane was ready at the gate. When I arrived early it was already busy in the gate area with fellow travellers. Pretty obvious it was going to be a full flight. Found a spot where I could charge my iPhone while I did some puzzles. Eventually the Zone 4 line was snaking down the main aisle so I joined in. I was apprehensive about getting my carry-on luggage (one bag of course) into the overhead. The gate crew were offering free tags to give them your carry-on as it was a full flight. I do not want to have the airline lose my luggage!! I purposely am taking a carry-on luggage bag and my backpack as I do NOT want to lose my luggage by checking it in like thousands of other airline customers over the last months when travel really opened up. In regards to that you still need to wear your face mask as soon as you are in the airport and while on the plane. There were some travellers disregarding that rule!

Anyway, after our Zone 4 line was moving forward finally, I checked my jeans for my wallet and cellphone and YIKES no cell phone in my pant pocket where I usually keep it. Panic was starting to set in. I walked back to check where I was seated, but nothing and nothing where I was standing. There must be an explanation and it is somewhere. I decided to board the plane prior to the hundreds behind me and that was a good choice as when I looked in my backpack I found my cellphone still attached to the power cord. PHEW! Heart attack avoided!

I had about a three hour layover in Toronto so lots of time even with some delays at YVR before our flight finally left. Uneventful flight (my fave) and pretty easy to navigate to the International Terminal although a long walk. When I arrived at my new Gate I discovered no real seats around the gate as this gate was close to many restaurants. Beside the gate were tables where people were eating their restaurant food. I got a chicken burger after about a 35 minute wait (maybe longer) and shortly thereafter I could see the Zone lines were already starting to build at least an hour before the scheduled liftoff around 21:20. Ate my mediocre meal (thanks to Lana for a $15 AC gift certificate) and decided to get in the herd of people at Zone 3-5 gate. I had Zone 3 on my ticket. 

While the plane was there it was a zoo. Crew were late and there was no 'queue' to line up with as it ws simply a horde of people all in a group. People trying to butt in, people arbirtrarily standing all over the place. Mass anarchy and zero response from Air Canada. Surprised no fist fights, although us Canadians are pretty gracious and considerate overall. Made it onto the plane and my seat in Row 20 by the window with more than enough overheard baggage space for my carry on luggage. Yeh! More delays prior to leaving the gate and then when we were going to push back the Captain indicated the ground crew's communication devices were not working so it would take time to replace. Yup, another long delay on the tarmac before we pushed back and then in the air to Denmark.


SUNDAY, AUGUST 21ST (FULL DAY)

This meant were very late landing in Copenhagen, but it was a safe landing. Basically, we left just before midnight in Ontario and arrived after 11:00 in the morning on Sunday. As usual, I can't sleep on a plane which means my jet lag will be more severe travelling in a westerly direction. Oh well, still worth the effort and expense. I have my homeopathic No Jet Lag that I pop every couple of hours to try and minimize the weird jet lag feeling of a separateness between your brain and your body. Your body is in a completely different time zone as it is still travelling across many time zones while your brain knows it is on a different continent.

Wow, I am in Copenhagen finally after all these months of preparing and knowing in a few days the World Cup Over70 Football Tournament begins. Many months ago I booked an Airbnb in a penthouse apartment in the neighbourhood of Copenhagen called Østerbro which is located in the northeast area of Copenhagen. The 7th floor apartment is on Täsingegade Street and about a four minute walk from the M3 subway station (Poul Henningsens Plads) on the backside. Fortunately, my host Ole is very thorough and detail-oriented as he was very specific with his directions and instructions. I loaded onto my iPhone with contacts and then created a word document for easier reference when navigating.


ØSTERBRO Neighbourhood




Copenhagen Metro (the red circle line is the M3 which you can take anywhere in the city)




 

My first priority coming off the plane and walking towards the exit was to purchase a transit pass. A very helpful employee ensured I made the right purchase at the machines which offer english as well as danish of course. Cost for a five day pass which covers all of Denmark was 600 Kroner which is around #105CDN which isn't cheap, but I can use it even taking transit all the way to Roskilde for the soccer.


CANADIAN CONVERSION TO KRONER is 1 Canadian dollar is equal to about 5.70 Kroner. Like the British when Denmark joined the European Economic Union they chose to retain their own currency rather than adopting the Euro. Not a straightforward conversion so will take time to understand quickly how much everything costs. 


Plus, she gave me a free Danish SIM card except you need to load it with data at a 7-Eleven and when I got to one in the terminal it could not offer that service as their "computer was down." Regardless, as I had already purchased a European SIM card through the internet which I would activate once in the apartment. 

Finding the Metro transit M2 train was pretty easy as it was up the stairs and only one direction into the city. I knew to depart the train once it reached the first M3 station being Kgs. Nytorv (about 20 minutes). Then to get on the M3 train to Poul Henningsens Plads. I needed to ask another rider which train as there was a train on the opposite tracks going in the opposite direction. About a seven minute ride. Now to find Täsingegade Street which per the host's directions was on the opposite side of the exit. He indicated to continue on the street until I saw a large green supermarket sign saying COOP 365 and the apartment building is right beside the supermarket.

There were a number of security codes to use to gain access to the building, the elevator and then into the suite. Special code for the apartment building entrance. Once inside then a code to activate the elevator and it is an older style elevator where the doors must be opened by the rider. Up to 7th floor and then try a code and then open the lock box for the key. Inside the apartment was their key and fob that allows entrance without a key. Put the key back in the lock box. Also, when Lana arrives on Friday afternoon I will probably be at my last football game so she will need to gain access herself to the apartment.

Great feeling finally being inside the penthouse apartment! Plus, pages of instructions for locking the door, accessing their tbs (no cable only wifi access), Wifi reasonably quick though. Radio in the only bathroom. They have a portable a/c unit in the top floor which is basically a loft bedroom with sloped ceiling. Shower controls are unusual, but I will figure that out tomorrow. Strict recycling directions much like Vancouver. Recommendations on local restaurants or bakeries etc. I was having issues with my new European SIM card so that took some time. I realized I need to purchase my groceries for dinner tonight, breakfasts this week and a bottle of Rosé but that needed to wait until later as I needed to be downtown shortly! 

My Free Walking tour of the city of Copenhagen was scheduled for 14:30 and I was now in a rush to make it on time (close to 14:00!!!). Guru Walking Tour known as Politically Incorrect Free Tours. I registered a few weeks ago online as I really enjoy a walking tour on day one of a new city. It is 'free', but you give the guide a good tip at the conclusion of your walking tour. Anything that advertises as politically incorrect and funny is worth a try. I rushed to the M3 station and then knew to get off at Gammel Strand Station and the orange umbrella guide would be waiting just outside the M3 station entrance. I was there with about five minutes to spare and introduced myself to Magnus the guide. There were a number of fellow tourists hanging around in a crowd. The tour was in English of course. The tour was to end within 90 minutes so around 16:00. Pretty central location for the meet and very close to the Danish Parliament buildings and city centre. Also, advertised as "hidden Copenhagen".

One of the benefits to coming to Denmark was the fact that Lana and I have been watching the Netflix series "Borgen" so getting to see the actual locations would be pretty cool. We were late comers to this excellent four season series but enthralled with all the political intrigue and the fact the lead characters were women. Most of the men in the series do not come off very well. For certain we covered the area of the parliament building and learned that BBC TV filmed season 4 and own the rights to the series. 

 

           Danish architecture - check out the weird spire - building unoccupied 



                                                   Royal Library Garden fountain


Parliament was created in the mid 1100s so was one of the very first democratic parliaments in Europe. Oh yeah, Magnus is a funny guy and if you are easily offended by some of his humour then don't go. Talked about Danish Renaissance architecture by one of their Kings. It was a dominant Scandinavian country that was much larger hundreds of years ago, but lost Norway and parts of what are now Sweden. As well, I had no idea the Danes absolutely hate the Swedes given what has occurred to them over the last centuries. 

One statue of the very famous Danish philosopher Søren Kiekergaard  who was scorned for his radical views during his lifetime, but after his death became famous for his unique philosophy of the individual over society. 

Magnus talked about how most of the roofs of these very old buildings were a unique colour of green and that is due to mining in the 1700s where they came across huge amounts of copper that they decided to make into their roofs. 

Other learnings:

- 50% personal income tax rate in Denmark

- 25% tax on most purchases

- up to 180% tax on car purchases

- for many centuries the Danes were quite rich and influential within Scandinavia 

- HYGGE state of mind may be responsible for the Danish 'welfare system' that looks after all Danes, inclusive of poverty, schooling is free, medical care free, generous social benefits etc. 

- average Dane works 33 hours of week yet is one of the most productive persons in Europe

- always in the top 2 or 3 in the world as happiest country

- against that lots of drinking goes on, high rates of anti-depression medication etc. 

- showed the oldest street in Copenhagen called Magstraede and the Mag stands literally for 'shit' as when it was built many centuries ago the sewer was the street itself

- many fires within Copenhagen over many centuries so most things have been re-built

- visited Nytorv 'new square' 

- apparently the large cathedral in this area plays electronic music nightly

- lots of history discussed of the very famous Carlsberg Beer empire

- Tivoli Gardens one of the world's oldest ride parks

I did not make any notes on his jokes and the above does not do justice to what he covered during our 90 minute walk, but I would recommend it for sure. I gave his a $10USD tip for his efforts. They have a Tuesday night Pub Crawl downtown joined by many people. 

Back in the M3 subway to my station and then into the Coop grocery store for my food supplies. Pretty good selections although everything in Danish which I expected. Pretty much everything is paid by a Visa card so I don't think I will even need to get some Kroner. My groceries came to 265.35 Kroner which equates to $46CDN. My most expensive one item purchase was a bottle of Rosé for 40 Kroner. I bought some fruit, bottle water, fruit juice, cheeses, cured meat, paté and some nice European style bread buns that I love. Back in the apartment and I know I need to get eating in advance of my 7 pm exhibition football match against a local Roskilde team. Plus, I enjoyed the beautiful weather and sat out on their deck enjoying the late sun and quiet from the courtyard below. 


Our football team had an exhibition game arranged for 7 pm tonight out in Roskilde. Distance from Copenhagen is around 30 kms and I thought I could get to the game field in about 30 kms with a couple of connections via public transit. I was wrong as it was at least 90 minutes to get there. They were meeting the other team around 6:30 pm and it was already around 5:30 my time. I could not text or phone Richard Burton the team manager as my new SIM card would not connect with American numbers. I emailed him my regrets although I was super tired from the long flights, lack of sleep and jet lag. 


I did make a FaceTime with Lana around 17:00 my time which would be 10:00 her time on a Sunday. It was good to catch up on the latest news. I signed on to our Netflix account and watched a German thriller movie titled "Prey". It is a 2021 movie and it was worth watching and interesting to see how the Germans do a thriller about five guys hiking in the wilderness and encountering a shooter who picks them off one after another. 


Into bed finally around 22:30 and I am tired after a long day, but feeling pretty good about my Airbnb place and navigating successfully on my own. Not happy with my new SIM card, but at least it works on data. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 22: Return to Vancouver (Sunday, September 11th)

 Just to let everyone know that we are now back in Vancouver. We were scheduled to depart from Frankfurt Flughafen on our Air Canada flight ...