Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Day 4: Over70 World Cup (Wednesday, August 24th)

The big day has arrived as the soccer tournament World Cup 70+ begins its day one at Roskilde Idraetspark with teams from all over. Our first game begins at 10 am on Field 2 versus Georgia United from the state of Georgia, USA. 

Online picture of part of the huge Idraetspark complex. There are natural grass fields and artificial turf fields. 



This will involve travel for me by subway train, railway and then walking to get to the fields. I went on to the Copenhagen train station schedule so I know there are two trains close to 08:00 that will stop at Roskilde. An 8:12 am departure track 8 for Holbaek Station and an 8:38 am departure for Naestved Station on track 7. I am in no rush to arrive super early as it is another warm day in this part of Denmark. High of 24 degrees Celsius expected with blue skies. 

Struggled again last night with jet lag insomnia as I tried to fall asleep for more than two hours with no luck. Got up just before 1 am and took a sleeping pill 1/2 tablet. Fell asleep and awoke around 6 am so at least I got some rest. Eager to begin my day. Took my bowl of fruit outside on the balcony again to enjoy the warmth of the morning sun and the fact it is so quiet. Good way to start the morning. 

My plan is to leave around 08:00 leaving me more than enough time to make 8:38 train and then about a fifteen minute walk of 1.2 kms to the football complex. I believe there is a parade earlier involving the teams in Roskilde. Our second game of the day begins at 13:45 on Field 2 versus B93/Brøshøj which is a Danish team. Uneventful trip to Roskilde although a delay on the tracks due to "maintenance". I walked from the Roskilde train station to the field. I arrived just before 09:30 so pretty good timing with our first game at 10:00. Totally blue skies today so lots of sun and heat while playing both games on artificial turf. 

In the København train station I decided to look for a toilet and found it in a corner of the huge mezzanine. I have no Kroner on me, but as usual the device at the entrance only takes credit cards. It cost 5 Kroner and the gate then opens. The room is super clean, tidy and hygienic. Plus, it is coed. 



I purchased a bottle of water at the 7 Eleven as I forgot my own water bottle. Everything in Denmark is expensive. I board the 12 Naestved train on track 7 and board and immediately head for the upper deck. I find a seat with a table and funny but a guy who was across from me on the train yesterday morning is sitting there! He was memorable as he has a pony tail, beard and dressed like a 70s hippie. Oh yeah, I remembered to bring my last pastry in my bag as a treat after my first game. The train has free WIFI and an english choice when signing in. 


We played our first game against Georgia (USA) and won 1-0. I headed the ball on to our striker to give him a semi-breakaway and he slotted his shot past their goalie. Our team played much better than I expected. We have some very weak players so that will be an ongoing concern as you can only be as strong as your weakest link. I am playing centre midfield so seeing more of the ball than I thought. I still have my quickness and a motor for running and hustling. I take all the corner kicks and free kicks. 


We have some time between the first and second game. There is a spot out back that serves Danish hot dogs! Yeh! None of the guys on my team have tried these famous dogs yet. What the? Their dogs were not as good as the one I devoured in Copenhagen, but pretty decent. You put all the fixings on your bun yourself. Sat at picnic tables in the direct sun and got to know some of my teammates much better and their wives. One of my teammates trying to convince me to play with his team in Australia in November, but I will be playing in Casa Grande in late October and that is enough for me. 

While finding shade and watching the Deutschland team play I got talking with a Danish fellow who is playing on another Danish over70 team. His name is Tom Hammer and he teaches english. His english is excellent and very little accent. His grandfather moved to the USA and then returned to Denmark. Tom's dad picked up the language so it was natural for Tom to become proficient. We covered many topics inclusive of Denmark and Danes. In the pic below Tom is wearing the white shirt. Brig is a teammate from Palo Alto area and we team up quite often on the field as he has skill and soccer sense. Tom is writing in my journal as I was interested in his email address. He had his DNA checked and he is 100% Dane. His wife is from Greenland and is an Inuit. His daughter has blonde hair like many Danes but grey eyes. 



It is a long wait between games, but I have some good conversations. In addition to Tom above an older guy named Lars came up as asked if one of us was from British Columbia. That would be me. His daughter married a Vancouver man and they were living in the Yukon. Amazing how total strangers can connect on many different levels. 

Our second game resulted in another 1-0 victory except this time it was over a local Danish team. I again assisted on the goal. It was a pretty good match overall. The referee was terrible though. I think refs are lousy wherever you go...I played central midfield and took all the free kicks. The tournament points are 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie and that is it. We now have 6 points from two games and guaranteed to move into the medal round regardless of the scoreline tomorrow against the England team. 

                           Our West Coast United soccer team over70 World Cup tournament



I was approached by a player from the Georgia team to have my picture taken with him after the second game. His team lost to England FC 0-1. He said I was the best player he has seen in the tournament. One major factor in my favour is I am one of the youngest players at age 68 and still have running ability. I am going to hire him as my player agent!   ha ha

Walked back to the Roskilde train station and hooked up with Harold again. We had an interesting and revealing chat on the way back in the train. I bought another bottle of water in the train station as I am that thirsty! I had just drank a bottle of water at the field. Uneventful return via the train and then the M3 subway. I am pretty exhausted and dehydrated after a long day. In looking in the mirror my face is pretty red. Priority one is to get the laundry started so I have fresh soccer gear for tomorrow. Then a shower and then off to dinner.

I decide to eat at a place that is within about a half block away and around the corner. I just do not have the energy for a long walk. It is already around 18:30 when I have my order in. I am at Chalet Burger & Steak House. Sitting outside on the cobblestone patio in the shade with a light breeze making this almost perfect in terms of temperature. I check my Garmin watch and I am close to 24,000 steps for the day! This helps explain my tiredness. Not a good start though as my first two liquid orders cannot be fulfilled as they don't have the items. I settle for a Tuborg Classic pilsner beer and some water. My entrée is the Ultimate BBQ burger with curly fries. Yup, the meal is not good. This explains why each night when I walk by there are not many patrons seated outside. My burger is overpowered by the bbq sauce and very drippy. The fries are way too crispy and dry. Also, the server after delivering my meal is never seen again. I get tired of waiting and go inside to pay. I did love sitting outside in the patio! Lots of old red brick buildings in this neighbourhood.

                                      My meal comprised of a burger, fries, beer and some water.



Back to the apartment around 19:30. Good news from Jerome our real estate agent as he has a showing of our apartment this morning and another showing next week. We have purchased our new "forever" home and occupy it October 7th. It is a half duplex located near our old place, but on the other side of Arbutus. 

Still fairly warm in the apartment. I have the sliding doors wide open to get as much of the breeze as possible. Put away the laundry to get ready for tomorrow. I watched a Netflix documentary "Running with the Devil: The Wild World of John McAfee. He is the maker of the McAfee anti-virus software and sold it to become incredibly wealthy and then accused of murdering his neighbour in Belize, but much more to the story and documentary than that. It kept me awake.


More soccer/football tomorrow and it will be a long day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 22: Return to Vancouver (Sunday, September 11th)

 Just to let everyone know that we are now back in Vancouver. We were scheduled to depart from Frankfurt Flughafen on our Air Canada flight ...